Turangi-Tongariro Ward and Community Board
The resignation of Turangi-Tongariro Ward councillor Zane Cozens and community board member Sally Nelson last month has resulted in a by-election for the two vacant seats.
Make sure you're enrolled to vote to have your say!
A By-election will be held for the following positions:
- Councillor from Turangi-Tongariro Ward (one member)
- Turangi-Tongariro Community Board (one member)
How do I know if I'm registered?
Turangi-Tongariro Ward Residents
If you're a resident of the Turangi-Tongariro Ward and already enrolled on the parliamentary electoral roll for the general election, you are automatically enrolled to vote in the local government elections.
If you're not on the parliamentary electoral roll in the Turangi-Tongariro Ward:
If you pay rates on a property in a different area to where you live, you may be eligible to enrol on the non-resident ratepayer electoral roll. Companies, businesses, trusts, corporations or societies which are ratepayers of a property in the district or community board area may also nominate an elector to vote on their behalf. The elector needs to reside outside the district or community board area where the property is situated.
This also applies to partners, joint tenants and tenants in common who collectively pay rates on a property in the Turangi-Tongariro Ward.
Candidate information and nominations
Nominations for the two positions open on July 13 and will close at noon on Friday, 10 August 2017.
To be eligible to stand for election, a candidate must be:
- Enrolled as a Parliamentary elector anywhere in New Zealand; and
- A New Zealand citizen
- Nominated by two electors whose names appear on the electoral roll for the constituency for which you wish to stand
Policy on signage
Candidates need to adhere to the following:
- Landowner's consent is needed to erect and site a sign [before sign is erected]
- Election signs can be displayed for a maximum of two (2) months before the date of the election i.e. 6 October 2017
- All signs must be removed by midnight on Thursday 5 October 2016
- Only one  sign per site per candidate is permitted
- Maximum permitted sign size is 3m2 with a maximum height of 3m
- Any structures and signs are to be removed if they are considered by Council Enforcement Officers to be unsafe or constitute a traffic hazard
- Signs must comply with the Building Act
There are no Council reserves, streets or other Council administered property sites available for the siting of signs. This includes land owned by Council but leased to another organisation.
When will the candidates be announced?
Candidates for the two positions will be announced during the week starting Monday, 14 August 2017.
Documents will be posted to all enrolled electors from 14 September 2017. Voting will close at noon on Friday 6 October 2017.
|Nominations and rolls open||Thursday, July 13|
|Nominations and rolls close||Thursday, August 10|
|Candidates announced||During the week starting Monday, 14 August|
|Delivery of voting papers starts||Thursday, September 14|
|Polling Day||Friday, October 6 (voting closes at noon)|
|Preliminary results announced||Friday, October 6 (afternoon/evening)|
|Declaration of results||Monday, October 9|