Jump to Abandoned Vehicles
Parking in Taupo
There is no fee for parking in Taupo, but there are time limits. Free off-street parking is also provided. View a copy of the "Where can I park brochure" to see the locations of free off-street parking and designated mobility parking areas.
Parking in Turangi
There are no meters and no time limits except a 15 minute parking restriction outside the Bakery and WINZ in Ohuanga Road. There is restriction free carparking on either side of the shopping mall.
Turangi Designated Mobility Parking
Mobility parking in Turangi is allocated outside:
- Adjacent Town Centre south carpark (1)
- Adjacent Turangi Bakery north carpark (1)
- Adjacent to Town Centre Surgery, TDC carpark, Tautahanga Road (1)
- Adjacent to National Bank, Ohuanga Road (1)
Payment options for Stationary Vehicle Infringement Notices
You may pay by cash or cheque at:
- Taupo District Council, 72 Lake Terrace, Taupo
- Taupo District Council, Town Centre, Turangi
- Taupo District Council, Town Centre, Mangakino
To pay via Internet Banking or Bank payment
When paying via internet or over the counter at a bank please note that you MUST enter the parking infringement reference number, so we can correctly identify what the payment is for.
Bank Account Name:
Bank Account Number:
Taupo District Council
<Full Notice Number>
<Vehicle Registration Number>
Payment can also be made via the 'Pay it' page of this website.
NB: Each Infringement Notice is a separate matter and must be identified as such.
Parking Infringement Explanations
If there is a valid reason for receiving a parking infringement you are able to complete a Parking Infringement Explanation form and submit to Council. A review of your infringement will be undertaken and correspondence regarding the outcome will be sent to you.
Stop Crime Before it Happens
- LOCK YOUR VEHICLE every time you leave it, no matter where it is parked;
- NEVER LEAVE VALUABLE items such as cameras, passports or wallets in your vehicle;
- LOCK any other BELONGINGS (luggage, shopping, briefcases, fishing gear, etc.) in the boot where they can't be seen;
- RING 111 IF YOU SEE ANYONE ACTING SUSPICIOUSLY around vehicles in car parks. If they are in a vehicle, write down their number plate and a brief description.
TAUPO POLICE - 24 HOURS
PHONE 07 378 6060
Vehicles abandoned in a street by the owner may be removed by Council to a vehicle pound and later sold to defray costs. A vehicle left in the street can become a target for intentional damage and is a safety issue for other road users.
To report a vehicle as abandoned, please phone Council on 07 376 0899, however, prior to this the Police should be contacted to verify if the vehicle is stolen.
The details Council require are:
- location of the vehicle
- how long the vehicle has been there
- registration number
- type of vehicle
- colour of the vehicle
Vehicles may be removed once enquiries have been made to locate an owner.
Vehicles abandoned on State Highways are the responsibility of the NZ Transport Agency and they are to be contacted in the first instance.