Mayoral Community Awards
Congratulations to all the 2023 Mayoral Community Award recipients!
Thank you for all the nominations received in 2023! The Taupō District has an abundance of special groups and individuals that make a huge contribution to their community and those in it.
The successful nominees were celebrated at a ceremony on Friday 29 September at 10.30am at the Great Lake Centre.
Recognising outstanding community contribution
The Taupō District has an abundance of special groups and individuals that make a huge contribution to their community and those in it. Mayor David Trewavas wants to formally recognise these people who work behind the scenes, often doing unpaid voluntary work over long periods of time to improve community wellbeing.
The Mayoral Community Awards is also a fitting occasion to recognise those who have done something extraordinary for their community which has not been recognised in any other forum.
Nomination criteria and conditions
The nomination criteria for a Community/Volunteer Award are as follows:
- Any person and/or group who has carried out meritorious voluntary service for the benefit of the District.
- Any resident of the District who has made a significant contribution to the welfare of others within New Zealand or overseas.
- Any person from the District whose personal achievements in their particular field are so outstanding as to deserve special recognition by way of a Community/Volunteer Award.
- Preference will be given to people who have not received recognition in the form of New Year’s or Queen’s Birthday Honours.
Although we would expect recipients to be residents in the district, others may be considered in exceptional circumstances.
In making your nomination, please address the following points:
- The record of service of the individual/group or the nature of their achievement.
- What real service they have provided to the community.
- How they have added to the quality of life in the Taupō District or, if they carried out their work outside Taupō District, in what areas.
- Why their contribution is significant compared to others.
- Who has benefited from their work.
It is important that your nomination contains as much detail as possible as the judges have only your application to assist them in deciding. However, the judges reserve the right to contact you or others in the community to verify any facts or to seek clarification of any statements made in the application.