Council has received $20.6m from the Government to implement “shovel ready” projects in the Taupō Town Centre. The application was based on implementing the Taupō Urban Commercial and Industrial Structure Plan. Specifically, it identified the Council and community aspirations to change the roading pattern to achieve the following:
- Moving the main traffic flow from Tongariro Street and Lake Terrace across to Spa Road and then down Titiraupenga Street.
- A reduction of Tongariro Street down to two lanes and improvements to make it easier to cross and connect the Tongariro Domain with the commercial areas.
- Removal of part of Lake Terrace with traffic moved onto a slower speed Roberts Street and the creation of a world class waterfront focused on people rather than cars.
The design work to understand exactly how these objectives could be achieved has identified two areas where it makes sense to restrict the movement of motor vehicles.
In accordance with section 83(1)(a)(i) of the Local Government Act 2002 (LGA02), Taupō District Council gives notice through this Statement of Proposal of its intention to create pedestrian malls over two parts of existing road within the Taupo Town Centre as provided for by section 336 of the Local Government Act 1974 (LGA74).
Feedback on the creation of pedestrian malls closed at 5pm on April 16, 2021. Thank you for all the submissions received.
All submissions will be considered. Submitters who indicated they would like to present their submission in person will be invited to a hearing to be held on 11 May 2021.
Please note that all submissions, including names and contact information, are made available to the public and will be heard in a meeting that is open to the public. Council’s final decision on the proposal is subject to appeal to the Environment Court in accordance with section 336 of the Local Government Act 1974.
If you need further information you can contact us:
- Taupō office, 30 Tongariro Street, Taupō.
- Turangi office, 1 Ngaweka Place, Turangi.
- Mangakino office, Civic Centre, Rangatira Drive, Mangakino.
- 07 376 0899
- or 0800 ASK TDC (0800 275 832)
BY EMAIL: PedestrianMalls@taupo.govt.nz
BY POST: Taupō District Council, Private Bag 2005, Taupō 3352.