Tongariro Representative Group
The Tongariro Representative Group meets every two months.
Meeting location: Tūrangi Customer and Visitor Information Centre, 1 Ngawaka Place, Tūrangi.
|Wednesday 15 March 2023||2pm|
|Wednesday 17 May 2023||2pm|
|Wednesday 19 July 2023||2pm|
|Wednesday 20 September 2023||2pm|
|Wednesday 15 November 2023||2pm|
Membership of the Tongariro Representative Group is made up of the Tūrangi-Tongariro Ward Councillor, one other Councillor, two community representatives, one Māori representative and the Mayor.
- Cr Sandra Greenslade (Chairperson)
- Cr Karam Fletcher
- Mayor David Trewavas
- Ngaire Grainger (community representative)
- Melanie Albert (community representative)
- Dave Potaka (Māori representative)
Governance and Terms of Reference
The Tongariro Representative Group represents and act as an advocate for the interests of the part of the wider Tūrangi-Tongariro Ward excluding that area within the Mana Whakahono a Rohe boundary as specified in the Partnership Agreement between Ngāti Tūrangitukua and Taupō District Council.
Scope of activity
- Providing local input into the development of Council policy that will impact on the part of the Tūrangi-Tongariro Ward excluding that area within the Mana Whakahono boundary.
- Maintaining an overview of service delivery, operational and capital expenditure, within the Tūrangi-Tongariro Ward excluding that area within the Mana Whakahono boundary.
- Providing local input into the development and review of Council’s key planning documents such as the Long-term Plan, Asset Management Plans, Structure Plans, Reserve Management Plans and the annual plan.
- Preparing an annual submission to Council’s budgetary process for expenditure within the community.
- Considering and reporting on all matters referred to it by Council or any matter of interest or concern to the area.
- Communicating with the community, community organisations and special interest groups within the area.
- Exercising Council’s statutory regulatory functions under the following Acts and Regulations (and any
amendments) that are not elsewhere delegated to staff and that relate to matters within the area:
- Local Government Act 1974 (“LGA 1974”) – Part 21, including:
- Road naming (section 319A of the LGA 1974)
- Decisions on pedestrian malls (section 336 of the LGA 1974);
- Licences to occupy roads (section 341(3) of the LGA 1974); and
- Decisions on stopping and closing roads (section 342 of the LGA 1974).
- Reserves Act 1977
- Considering resident and ratepayer appeals to decisions made in accordance with Council’s Tree and Vegetation Policy affecting trees and vegetation in the area.
Power to act
The group can carry out any function that:
- Supports Council’s Long-term Plan and/or policy direction
- Is not the function or responsibility of full Council or its other standing or special Committees
- Is not prohibited by legislation
- Otherwise falls within the objectives and scope of the group
- External representatives appointed to the committee have full voting rights.
- Council delegates its powers and duties under the Acts, Regulations and policies specified above, except where they may not be delegated, or where they are elsewhere delegated.
Terms of Reference
To see the full Terms of Reference for the Tongariro Representative Group and all other council committees, refer to the Terms of Reference and Delegations for Council Committees adopted on 15 November 2022.