District Licensing Committee
Governance and Terms of Reference
The District Licensing Committee administers Council’s alcohol licensing framework as determined by the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 (the Act).
Scope of activity
To hear, consider and determine the functions of the Act which are;
- To consider and determine applications for licences and manager’s certificates;
- To consider and determine applications for renewal of licences and manager’s certificates;
- To consider and determine applications for temporary authority to carry on the sale and supply of alcohol in accordance with section 136 of the Act;
- To consider and determine applications for the variation, suspension, or cancellation of special licences;
- To consider and determine applications for the variation of licences (other than special licences) unless brought under section 280 of the Act;
- With the leave of the Chairperson for the licensing authority (ARLA), to refer applications to the licensing authority;
- To conduct inquiries and to make reports as may be required of it by the licensing authority under section 175 of the Act; and
- Any other functions conferred on the licensing committee by or under the Act or any other enactment.
Power to act
- Hear, consider and determine applications under the Act, and any supporting information.
- Exercise any powers conferred on the licensing committee by or under the Act.
Terms of Reference
To see the full Terms of Reference for the District Licensing Committee and all other council committees, refer to the Terms of Reference and Delegations for Council Committees adopted on 15 November 2022.
In 2013, Council established the Taupō District Licensing Committee (DLC) and appointed a list of members to manage alcohol licensing within the district in accordance with the Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2012 (the Act). Membership has been extended at various points since 2013 and the current list of members set out below, excluding councillors, have been appointed to 30 October 2023:
- Murray Clearwater – Commissioner Chairperson
- Cr John Williamson (Deputy Chairperson)
- Cr Duncan Campbell
- Terry Andrews
- Jane Arnott
- Graeme Cushing
- Eric Foley
- Louise Foley
- Judy James