Bag it or bin it? Have your say!
As part of the Long-term Plan 2024-2034 pre-engagement process, we are looking at how we do kerbside waste and recycling collections and we want your feedback.
- Would you prefer bags or bins?
- How often should we do kerbside collections? Weekly, fortnightly or a combination of both?
Food scraps collection will be part of the new service because of the government mandate coming in June 2026.
The options for kerbside waste and recycling collection are:
- Continue to use 60L plastic bags and crates for recycling, plus a food scraps bin.
- Wheelie bins for rubbish and recycling, glass in a separate crate, plus a food scraps bin.
How often refuse and recycling is collected will impact the cost and also the amount of material sent to landfill. More frequent waste collection allows more waste to be disposed of and the more frequent the collection, the more expensive.
- Weekly (most expensive): Rubbish, recycling, and food scraps all collected weekly.
- Fortnightly + weekly peak: Alternating weeks for rubbish and recycling. Weekly for food scraps. Weekly during the busy summer period.
- Fortnightly (least expensive): Alternating weeks for rubbish and recycling. Weekly for food scraps.
Learn more about the options and tell us what you think by filling in our short survey at www.taupo.govt.nz/bagitorbinit