Road closures for Lake Taupō Cycle Challenge
Lake Taupō Cycle Challenge is taking place on Saturday 25 November. In its 45th year, Taupō District Council continues to proudly support and host this fantastic event since its inception in 1977. We welcome all visitors, riders and supporters to our district for New Zealand’s largest cycling occasion.
Start lines are on Tongariro Street for Taupō and Hirangi Road in Tūrangi, with all finishers crossing the line on Tongariro Street heading into the event village on Tongariro Domain.
Temporary road and lane closures will be in place across many areas of the district this Friday 24 and Saturday 25 November. To keep competitors, event officials and spectators safe, these closures take effect at varying times over the weekend. Check the below in advance of travelling.
- SH32, SH41, and SH1 are all fully open so you can still get around the district.
- Be aware of some congestion and stop/go in places, so plan ahead and use the Waka Kotahi Journey Planner.
- Tongariro Street (North bound lane) from Te Heuheu Street to Spa Road between 1pm Friday 24 November to 10pm Saturday 25 November.
- Tongariro Street, (North bound lane), from Roberts Street to Te Heuheu Street between 4am to 9.30pm Saturday 25 November.
- Tongariro Street, (North and South bound lane), from Tūwharetoa Street to Roberts Street between 4am to 9.30pm Saturday 25 November.
- Redoubt Street from Tongariro Street to Story Place from 5.30am to 10.30am Saturday 25 November.
- Lake Terrace (North bound lane), from Mere Road to Titiraupenga Street from 8am to 8.30pm Saturday 25 November, one way system via the South bound lane.
- Titiraupenga Street from Lake Terrace to Roberts Street from 8am to 8.30pm Saturday 25 November (resident access only via Northcroft Street onto Kaimanawa Street).
- Roberts Street from Tongariro Street to Ruapehu Street from 4am to 9.30pm Saturday 25 November.
- Roberts Street (West bound lane), from Ruapehu Street to Titiraupenga Street from 4am to 9.30pm Saturday 25 November, one way system via the East bound lane.
- Poihipi Road from Wairakei Drive to Whangamata Road from 5.30am to 10.30am Saturday 25 November (one way system via East bound lane).
- Length of the Lake starts on Hirangi Road, Tūrangi with a stop/go in place.
- Intersection of Hirangi Road with State Highway 41 for southbound traffic will have a stop/go in place.
- Intersection of State Highway 41 with State Highway 1 for northbound traffic will have stop/go in place.
Bus stop temporary move
- The bus stop on Tongariro Street will temporarily move to Pāori Hapi Street (opposite the Fine Fettle Café) from 1pm Friday 24 November to 10pm Saturday 25 November.
Access to police station, marina and dump station
- Access to Taupō Police Station and the Marina on Saturday 25 November from 5.30am to 10.30am is via Story Place, and from 10.30am is via Redoubt Street.
- Riverside Park Dump Station on Redoubt Street will be closed from 5.30am until 10.30am Saturday 25 November.