Climate Change Strategy
Taking climate change action seriously
Council has always sought to reduce our impact on the environment, and we’re doing a number of positive things to reduce our greenhouse gas emissions. We are:
- investing and improving walking and cycling networks
- diverting green waste and recycling from the landfill
- moving to plug-in hybrid council vehicles and electric buses
- undertaking a programme of native revegetation and tree planting, in partnership with Greening Taupō
- undertaking electricity efficiency assessments, and we switched our street lights to LEDs
- vermi-composting (worm farm) our wastewater sludge with MyNOKE.
These are great steps, but we know we need to do more. So Council has adopted:
These will ensure that Council actively reduces its emissions, and is playing its part in New Zealand getting to net zero by 2050.