Retailers in the CBD are permitted to display goods on the footpath adjacent to their shop frontage providing they occupy no more than one metre width of the footpath.
Restaurants and Cafes
Taupo town centre has footpath areas available for outdoor dining at the following locations:
- Horomatangi Street
- Corner Heuheu and Ruapehu Street
- Tuwharetoa Street
- Roberts Street
- Tables and chairs be adjacent to the shop frontage and not on the kerb edge.
- All sandwich boards and display of goods must be located either at the building edge or the kerb edge for the entire length of the premise being advertised and leave a minimum width of 2.5 metres of clear covered pavement or 2 metres of clear covered pavement in identified laneways.
- That a minimum of 2.5 metre clear width for footpath/pedestrian access way.
- Separators (bannisters, potted plants etc.) must be used to separate the outdoor dining area.
- Tables and chairs must be removed from the footpath each day.
- The area of the footpath that is utilised for outdoor dining must be kept clean and tidy.
- If liquor is intended to be served in the outdoor dining area, ensure the appropriate consents are obtained. You can find out more on our Liquor Licenses webpage.
To apply for a Licence to Occupy for Outdoor Dining contact us on (07) 376 0899.
Buskers and street activities
Our permission is not required for private properties such as Countdown, Pak'n'Save and The Warehouse.
- Buskers must specify the dates they intend to perform. The maximum number of consecutive days permitted is five.
- Buskers must ensure that no one has the area booked for the same period. Phone Customer Services on (07) 3760 899 to confirm availability.
- Buskers must fill in an application form. No fees are required.
- Buskers must contact the us if they wish to use Clem Currie Court outside Westpac Bank.
- Activities outside Clem Currie Court must enhance Horomatangi Street and the surrounding businesses. This area features seating and a power point.
Street appeals, stalls, sausage sizzles
Make an application. You must get signatures from adjacent shop owners.
- Flyers may not be placed under car windscreen wipers as they cause litter and parking problems.
- Ensure that no one has the area booked for the same period.
- Phone customer services on (07) 3760 899 to confirm availability.
- A parking exemption for one car may be granted to allow ease of storage for stall stock. The exemption slip must be displayed on the dashboard of the vehicle.