Our aim is to balance the needs of dogs and their owners, while minimising any potential danger, distress or nuisance to the community and environment.
There are a number of designated areas where dogs can be exercised freely off the leash. However, we only encourage owners to let their dogs free if they can control them by a call or whistle.
Respect and enjoy our dog exercise areas
- Do not allow your dog to attack or annoy other dogs and people.
- Remember to remove your dog's droppings.
- Bitches that are in season are not allowed in public places.
- Dogs are not allowed on any children's play area.
Dog exercise areas
Dogs must be on a lead in all public spaces unless in a designated dog exercise area.
View the dog exercise areas map in a new browser window.
- Control Gates Reserve
- Spa Thermal Park (excluding children's play equipment)
- Kimberley Reserve
- Tamatea Water Reserve
- Titoki Water Reserve
- Hawai Street Reserve
- Secombe Park
- Besley Park
- Part of Mangakino Recreational Reserve - south of Lake Road between Lake Maraetai and golf course
- Te Rangiita/Waitekoko Lakeside Reserve
- Waipapa Reserve
- Taupahi Road Reserve
- The grassed area between Turangi Park and the houses between Aonini Road and Wharekaihua Grove that back on to the reserve
- Lakeshore Recreation Reserve adjacent to Lake Taupo from Pihanga Road to the end of Motutaiko Street
- Kuratau Lakeshore Recreation Reserve - from cliff top area to Ihaia Road (excluding the beach area)
- Pukawa South Recreation Reserve known as Pukawa Common (excluding area between roadway and lake)
- The Whareroa Esplanade Reserve adjacent to Lake Taupo (Known as Kowhai Flats)
Dog restricted areas
Areas where dogs are restricted or prohibited (except when in a vehicle).
- Lakefront Reserve - below the embankment from the Lake Terrace pump station (excluding the access road through to and including the Sea Scouts building).*
- Two Mile Bay Reserve and the beach area (excluding the walkway)*
- The part of the beach area (excluding the walkway) from Mapou Road to Kowhai Road, Taupo.*
- Wharewaka Reserve and beach area (excluding the walkway) from below Kohatu Parade to Wharewaka Point*
- The beach area at Acacia Bay North
- Shopping mall, Turangi town centre
- Lakeshore Recreation Reserve adjacent to Lake Taupo from Kuratau River mouth to the end of Motutaiko Street.*
- Pukawa Esplanade Reserve
- Esplanade Reserve at Hatepe*
*Dogs prohibited from 1 December to 31 March during the hours of 9am to 7pm
Dogs are prohibited at all times
- Turtle Pools, Turangi
- AC Baths, Taupo
- Mangakino Community Pool
- All sports grounds and children's play equipment areas
Free pooper scooper bags