Land Information Memorandum

​​​​​​​​What is a LIM?

A Land Information Memorandum (LIM) is a report containing everything we must provide about a property or section at the time the application is made. All information from our records is obtained and made available on request under Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987.
A site inspection is not undertaken and we recommend if you have any concerns about the property that you seek the advice of an independent qualified professional. 

How to apply for a LIM

Apply for your LIM online and make your payment via Credit Card. Payment must be made at the time of application.

Council has three services available for LIMs:
  • On selected residential/rural properties an 'Express' LIM service is available. This service allows a LIM report to be issued within four hours from submitting and is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • An 'Urgent' LIM service is also now available. For residential and rural properties a LIM will take up to three working days, for commercial and industrial properties a LIM will take up to five working days to be processed.
  • Council's 'Standard' LIM service, with a timeframe of up to 10 working days, is also still available.
Once application is complete and payment is cleared you will receive notification, via email, advising that your application has been submitted.
When your LIM is ready you will receive another notification, via email, to advise how to collect your LIM (based on your selected delivery option).
One application per separate property please.

Notes about the LIM application process

  • Processing days are counted from the next working day after your application is submitted, e.g. apply Friday then the first working day is the following Monday.
  • We reserve the right to determine the fee category based upon the type of use of the property, evident by Licenses/Consents etc. issued.
  • If there happens to be a problem with your online LIM application outside of office hours we will be in contact with you on the next working day.
  • We are only able to provide information that is held within records at the time of the application.
  • An on site inspection is not made for the purposes of this report.
  • We are not an agent for any other network utility (electricity, gas or telecommunications).
  • Under Section 44A of the Local Government Official Information and Meetings Act 1987, a Local Authority must supply, upon request, a Land Information Memorandum (LIM) in relation to matters affecting the land in the district of the authority, which is known to the Authority.

LIM application prices

Class​ ​Express – Within 4hours ​Urgent ​Standard
​Residential/Rural ​$450 ​$350 (3 days) ​$200 (10 days)
Commercial ​​N/A ​​$400 (5 days) ​​$300 (10 days)

When should I get a LIM?

You should request a LIM when considering whether or not to invest in property. We recommend you obtain a LIM before you buy.

 A LIM provides some or all of the following:
  • Rates information - land, improvement and capital rateable value, yearly rates and arrears (if any).
  • Services information - water meter information (including current outstanding balance and arrears, if any), sewer and water loans.
  • District Plan information - The zoning of the property, map and references to District Plan requirements.
  • Public Work - Any proposed public works that may directly affect the property.
  • Drainage - The location of public sewer, water and storm water services on the property. If the property is connected to the sewer or septic tank, and drainage plan.
  • Building Consents, Permits - Any building consents or permits issued on the property including replacement fireplaces.
  • Resource Consents - Any Resource Consents issued on the property. Any other consents issued on the property.
  • Swimming Pools - If the property has a swimming pool. If the pool is fenced in accordance with the Fencing of Swimming Pool Act 1987.
  • Hazards - Information of any known natural or manmade hazards that may affect the property including erosion, avulsion (removal of land by water movement), subsidence, slippage, alluvium (silt deposit from flooding), flooding, and susceptibility to soil liquefaction.
  • Health - Any health or food licence and when it expires.
  • Compliance Schedule - Any compliance schedule issued for public buildings and when the warrant of fitness expires.
  • Historic Places - Any Historic Places Trust classifications.
  • Other Information - Any requisitions that may have been issued on the property. Other information we considers to be relevant.

If there is no permit for building work carried out on the property, it may be that the owner becomes liable for unpermitted work. Please consult your solicitor. We cannot retrospectively issue a building consent for already completed work and we may only issue a certificate of acceptance upon application, a fee is associated with this application.

Page reviewed: 14 Jan 2019 2:22pm