Rates Rebate Scheme
The Rates Rebate Scheme was established in 1973 to provide a subsidy to low-income homeowners on the cost of their rates (see The Rates Rebate Act 1973 for more information).
The Government, following a review of the scheme, has further increased the rates rebate thresholds for the 2021/22 rating year. The changes to the scheme will increase the number of people who could be eligible for a rates rebate.
- The income threshold increased from $25,150 to $26,510
- Maximum allowable rates rebate will increase from $655 to $665.
If you earn more than $26,150 you still may be eligible for a rebate. A quick way for you to check your eligibility is to go online to www.govt.nz/rates-rebate and use the online rebate calculator. You only need to fill in three fields; your total gross income, number of dependants and your total Taupo District Council and Waikato Regional Council rates.
For more information on rates rebates visit the Department of Internal Affairs website.
Applying for Rates Rebate
Rates rebate application forms are sent out to those who applied during the 2020/21 year, with your rates invoices in August 2021.
Otherwise you can request an application form to be posted to you; print an application form yourself or complete an online PDF form.
You will need the following information:
- A fully completed application form.
- Proof of income summary from WINZ or an employer and details of any other income including bank interest, share earnings and income from other sources etc. Please make sure that the income you provide is money received, before tax, for the tax year 1 April 2020 to 31 March 2021.
- Your Taupo District Council and Waikato Regional Council rates totals.
You can submit your application in person or someone else can bring it in for you to Council directly or alternatively you can email the completed form to email@example.com.
Please note that you are still required to sign your name (either with pen or digital signature). A typed signature is not acceptable.
The closing date for applications is 30 June 2022.