Rates Rebate Scheme
The Rates Rebate Scheme was established in 1973 to provide a subsidy to low-income homeowners on the cost of their rates (see The Rates Rebate Act 1973 for more information).
The Government, following a review of the scheme, has further increased the rates rebate thresholds for the 2018/19 rating year. The changes to the scheme will increase the number of people who could be eligible for a rates rebate.
- The income threshold increased from $24,790 to $25,180
- Maximum allowable rates rebate will increase from $620 to $630.
If you earn more than $25,180 you still may be eligible for a rebate. A quick way for you to check your eligibility is to go online to www.govt.nz/rates-rebate and use the online rebate calculator. You only need to fill in three fields; your total gross income, number of dependants and your total Taupo District Council and Waikato Regional Council rates.
For more information on rates rebates visit the Department of Internal Affairs website.
Applying for Rates Rebate
Rates rebate application forms will be sent out to those who applied during the 2017/18 year, with your rates invoices in August 2018. You can request a rates rebate form prior to this from your local council office or download a form from the Department of Internal Affairs website.
When submitting an application you must bring with you:
- A fully completed application form. On receipt our staff will witness the declaration being signed, check the form is completed correctly and sign it as an authorised person.
- Proof of income summary from WINZ or an employer and details of any other income including bank interest, share earnings and income from other sources etc. Please make sure that the income you provide is money received, before tax, for the tax year 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018.
- Your Taupo District Council and Waikato Regional Council rates totals.
Please wait until you get your 2018/19 year rates notice before you submit an application. The closing date for applications is 30 June 2019.