Dog exercise & restricted areas
Our aim is to balance the needs of dogs and their owners, while minimising any potential danger, distress or nuisance to the community and environment.
There are a number of designated areas where dogs can be exercised freely off the leash. However, we only encourage owners to let their dogs free if they can control them by a call or whistle.
- You must carry a leash with you at all times.
- Always pick up and appropriately dispose of your dog’s droppings.
- Your dog must be under proper control at all times – you must be aware of where your dog is and what it is doing. Ensure the dog responds to commands and prevent it from endangering or causing distress to people, other animals or any wildlife.
- Dogs are not allowed in any children’s play areas.
- Bitches that are in season are not allowed in public places.
Remember to look for any signs that indicate dog restrictions, such as leashed or prohibited areas.
Dogs may be exercised off-leash in the following public places provided they are kept under proper control by the person responsible:
- Control Gates Reserve
- Spa Thermal Park (excluding children's play equipment)
- Kimberley Reserve
- Tamatea Water Reserve
- Titoki Water Reserve
- Hawai Street Reserve
- Secombe Park
- Besley Park
- Part of Mangakino Recreational Reserve - south of Lake Road between Lake Maraetai and golf course
- Te Rangiita/Waitekoko Lakeside Reserve
- Waipapa Reserve
- Taupahi Road Reserve
- Grassed area between Turangi Park and the houses between Aonini Road and Wharekaihua Grove that back on to the reserve
- Lakeshore Recreation Reserve adjacent to Lake Taupo from Pihanga Road to the end of Motutaiko Street
- Kuratau Lakeshore Recreation Reserve - from cliff top area to Ihaia Road (excluding the beach area)
- Pukawa South Recreation Reserve known as Pukawa Common (excluding area between roadway and lake)
- Whareroa Esplanade Reserve adjacent to Lake Taupo (Known as Kowhai Flats)
- Marina Terrace Reserve
Restricted areas (except when in a vehicle)
Dogs must be on leash at all times in these locations:
- Lakefront Reserve - below the embankment from the Lake Terrace pump station (excluding the access road through to and including the Sea Scouts building)*
- Two Mile Bay Reserve and the beach area (excluding the walkway)*
- The part of the beach area (excluding the walkway) from Mapou Road to Kowhai Road, Taupo*
- Wharewaka Reserve and beach area (excluding the walkway) from below Kohatu Parade to Wharewaka Point*
- The beach area at Acacia Bay North
- Shopping mall, Turangi town centre
- Lakeshore Recreation Reserve adjacent to Lake Taupo from Kuratau River mouth to the end of Motutaiko Street*
- Esplanade Reserve at Hatepe*
- Pukawa Esplanade Reserve
- Esplanade Reserve
*Between 1 December and 31 March, during the hours of 9am to 7pm, dogs are prohibited in these restricted areas, even when on leash.
Dogs are prohibited in the following areas at all times, even when on leash:
- All sports grounds
- All children’s play equipment areas
- AC Baths
- Turtle Pools
- Mangakino Community Pool
Please note, these prohibitions and restrictions do not apply to:
- guide or hearing ear dogs
- Police, Customs or security dogs under the direct control of their handler.
Find an exercise area
Pooper scooper bags
Free pooper scooper bags are available at our Customer Service Centre at 46 Horomatangi Street, Taupō or from one of our dispensers located in some of the exercise areas around the district. Check our dog exercise area map for where to find your nearest dispenser.
Dispenser empty? Let us know the location and we’ll send one of our officers to refill it.
Fill in our Contact Us form or give us a call on 07 3760899.