Register your dog
Registering your dog for the first time
All dogs must be registered by the age of three months. You are then required to renew your dog's registration by 1 July each year.
You can register your dog online or come in to one of our customer service centres to complete an application form and pay the registration fee.
To register online, you will need your customer number and dog owner number. If you don't know these or are not yet a customer with us, give us a call on 07 376 0899.
To register your dog you'll need:
- to know what breed your dog is
- its age, colour and sex
- evidence of working dog classification (if applicable)
- whether it has been neutered (desexed) including any certificates to prove this
- whether it has been microchipped including any certificates to confirm the microchip number
- any previous registration details, either under the name of a previous owner or with another council.
If you register a puppy for the first time part way through the registration year, you'll be charged a proportion of the annual registration fee based on when your puppy turned three months.
Registration cost 2020/21
Fees and charges shown below are for 2020/21 and apply from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021.
All fees and charges include GST except where noted.
|Entire dog fee (if paid on or before 31 July)||$90.00|
|Entire dog fee (if paid on or after 1 August)||$110.00|
|Entire dog fee - Responsible Owner||$65.00|
|Responsible Owner application fee |
(payable upon initial application ONLY, unless owner circumstances change)
|Desexed dog discount |
(discount off the full-year registration fee; not applicable to working dogs)
|Disability assist dog||No fee|
|Pet therapy dog (as approved by Council Officers)||No fee|
|Dangerous dog (before penalties are applied)||150% of full rate|
|Multiple dog application fee for more than two dogs (urban area only)||$105.00|
Dog collars and leads
A range of dog collars and leads are for sale at our offices and the Taupo pound for $10 each.
Renewing your dog's registration
You must renew your dog registration before 1 July each year.
If your dog is currently registered with us we'll send you a renewal notice in early June to remind you to renew your registration. Renewal notices are sent either by post, or email if you have opted in to receive electronic correspondence. If you have moved address, please let us know so we can update your details and send your renewal notice to the correct address.
Renew your registration online by creating an account with our online services or logging in to an existing one. The total balance owing on your dog account will be shown and payment can then be made by credit card. A service fee of 0.95 per cent plus 12 cents will apply to payments made by credit card. Please note, Taupō District Council does not retain any part of this fee. Please be aware the surcharge for online credit card payments is being waived until further notice.
Payments can also be made in person at any of our customer service centres or by internet banking. Our bank account number and payment reference details are located on the back page of your registration notice. Be sure to quote the right reference number to ensure your payment is allocated to the correct account. Payments made without a suitable reference may result in a delay issuing your registration tags.
If you have paid online, we will post out your registration tag within 10 working days of receiving payment.
Would you like to receive mail from us straight to your inbox?
Opting in is a convenient way to receive correspondence and invoices via email which not only saves time, but also saves paper. It's a free service and it's easy to sign up.
If you don't register your dog
If you don't register your dog, you could be issued an infringement and your dog may be seized and impounded. All impounding and registration fees will need to be paid in full before we can release your dog.
Your dog must be wearing its allocated tag for the current year when in public. If your dog registration tag goes missing or gets damaged, you can apply for a replacement online or in person at our Customer Service Centre at 46 Horomatangi Street, Taupō.
There is a $11 fee for a replacement dog tag. Tags can only be purchased to replace lost or unusable tags and must be worn by the dog registered to that tag. Misuse of registration tags may result in an infringement under the Dog Control Act 1996.
What your dog registration fee is used for
Your dog registration fees help to fund a range of services that are designed to help dogs, their owners and the wider community.The fees and charges help to pay for our animal services activities including:
- providing and maintaining facilities for the care, welfare and return of lost, stray, impounded or seized dogs.
- investigation, monitoring and resolution of dog issues such as nuisance (barking & roaming), aggressive and dangerous dogs (rushings & attacks).
- monitoring and enforcement of the dog control act, bylaws and policy.
- installation and maintenance of pooper scooper bags & dispensers.
- friendly and professional advice to dog owners, our community and visitors.
- education programs.
- patrolling public areas, reserves, parks, sports fields and signage in public all aimed at public education, safety and where required enforcement takes place.
- standard overheads associated with animal control vehicles, technology, facilities, administration, record keeping of dogs required by central government (including the updating of the National Dog Database), staff costs, management etc.