Cycle skills training programme for schools
We offer a cycle skills education programme for schools where students learn the benefits of cycling and how to ride with confidence and be road-wise.
The cycle skills programme is aligned with Bike Ready. All participants receive a personalised certificate highlighting their achievements.
The programme includes:
- Cycle maintenance and helmet fitting
- Basic cycling skills
- Road rules
- On road cycling
Cycle Skills programme outline
Cycle skills is delivered in modules to allow flexibility within the curriculum and school day.
An average time span for delivery to one group or class of students would be two mornings 9am - 12.30pm. However Cycle Skills can be tailored to suit individual needs.
We ensure a high safety and achievement rate by allocating a maximum ratio of one Cycle Skills Instructor to six students for on road sessions.
Ideally students can use their own cycle and helmet. However, we are able to provide up to ten cycles and helmets for use on the programme.
We aim for students to be able to:
- Be more aware of the importance of visibility and wearing a helmet when riding their cycle.
- Have a basic knowledge of the moving parts of their cycle and how to maintain it.
- Be able to demonstrate full control of their cycle while carrying out all-round observation, signalling, and manoeuvring within a controlled environment.
- Be able to safely undertake basic manoeuvres and turns in simple traffic conditions.
- Be able to show good understanding of traffic awareness and road positioning in these simple traffic conditions.
- Be ready to develop these skills further in more complex traffic environments.
- Creative and critical thinking when making decisions for safe journeys
- To gain information and make decisions for safe journeys
- Manage themselves safely when implementing actions for safe journeys
- Be part of and contribute to their community to ensure everyone experiences safe journeys
Book a school programme
To find out more or book a school programme please contact our road safety co-ordinator Sarah Wraight by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.