Winter and holiday driving
Plan your journey:
- Check the weather and road conditions before you leave.
- Take a blanket, warm clothing, food and water in case of an emergency.
- Allow extra time for journeys and plan rest breaks or share the driving.
Drive to the conditions:
- Slow down.
- Increase your following distances.
- Keep your headlights on at all times.
- Follow the speed restriction signs and hazard signs.
- There are more vehicles on the road during the holiday period.
- People can be fatigued.
Check your car - give it a TWIRL!
Sometimes just giving your car a quick safety check can save you from a crash, or worse. It doesn't take long to give your car a quick safety check. Just give it a regular TWIRL - that is a quick safety check of your tyres, windscreen, indicators, rust and lights - and take it to an expert if anything's wrong.
Check out this handy pdf quick safety check guide or visit the NZTA website for more information.