Before you dig - locating buried pipes or cables
To avoid damaging underground services, you need to check before you dig. This means if you are planning to dig on your property or in the road reserve (road corridor), you need to check before you begin your project.
This includes; digging holes for fence posts or retaining walls, planting trees, excavating for driveways or in-ground pools.
If you have a blocked sewer, or need to locate your water toby urgently, we can tell you where the lateral connection or water toby are located. Alternatively you can visit our online maps, select the “Layers” tab from top right hand side, then tick “Services” box, then zoom to your property.
If you're digging anywhere on any Council land, including road corridor, you need approval first. To do this you will need to submit a Corridor Access Request (CAR).
To find out more about submitting a Corridor Access Request please keep reading.
|See also: Building over or near a public pipe|
Building over pipelines is not a recommended practice and will only be considered by council in exceptional circumstances, where no suitable alternative exists.
Water Mains, Wastewater Pipes and Stormwater Pipes
Taupo District Council
Phone: 07 376 0899 or 0800 ASK TDC (after hours service available)
Request a services plan of your property or area of work. Council has records of Councils pipes and mains, and some records of private pipes and drains. Council does not keep records for the location of electricity cables, phone lines, fibre or gas pipes.
If working or building close to Council services, especially critical services, special care and protection may be necessary. Contact Council to discuss options.
Residential property searches for plumbing and drainage plans normally takes one working day to process.
Unison (Taupo Town and eastern side Lake Taupo)
Phone: 0800 286 476
The Lines Company (Turangi and western side Lake Taupo)
Website:The Lines Company online enquiry form
Phone: 0800 367 546
Phone and Fibre Cables
Chorus (all areas)
Website: Chorus Before You Dig
Enquiries: 0800 600 100
Emergencies: 0800 463 896
Unison find-underground cables
Website: Vector Contact Details
Enquiries: 0508 832 867
Emergencies: 0800 734 567
Other Utility Providers
Please contact them directly
For More information: beforeUdig website
Corridor Access Request (CAR)
A CAR is required for:
- any activity that will alter, or cause to be altered, the surface of any part of the road corridor, including excavating, drilling and resurfacing
- the placement of any pipe, duct, pole, cabinet or other structure below, on or above the road corridor.
- a new vehicle crossing, driveway works
- building construction (commercial)
- scaffolding works associated with renovations or building maintenance
- shop front fit outs/repairs/replacements
- crane operations
- building cleaning/painting
How to submit a CAR application
Submit your request online. Register and follow the instructions on the beforeUdig website.
CAR applications may require additional information such as:
- A Traffic Management Plan (TMP)
- Site or lay plan
- Ensure the plan is clear and easy to read
- Must be site specific and show the full extent of services to be installed,
- Shows any trees and other above ground structures, street furniture, etc., along the planned layout route.
- Evidence of consultation with other parties.
- Photos of the work site
- For utility installations an elevation photo of the proposal is required.
The cost of a CAR application
Depending on the complexity of the application, Fees and Charges may apply.
What happens to your application?
Once you submit your application, allow 20 working days for processing. You cannot start the work until you have approval of your application.