2019 IRONMAN 70.3 road closures
Please be advised road closures are in place on Saturday, December 7 for the 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 event.
- Tongariro Street from Spa Road to Lake Terrace: 2am to 4pm
- Lake Terrace from Tongariro Street to Ruapehu Street: 2am to 4pm
- Lake Terrace from Ruapehu Street to Napier Road: 6am to 1pm
- Rifle Range Road from Lake Terrace to Tauhara Road: 6am to 10am
- Tauhara Road from Rifle Range Road to Miro Street: 6am to 10am
- Centennial Drive from Broadlands Road to Rakaunui Road: 6am to 10am
- Broadlands Road from Miro Street to the district Boundary: 6am to 1pm
- Miro Street from Broadlands Road to Crown Road: 8am to 1pm
- Crown Road from Invergarry Road to Taharepa Road: 8am to 1pm
- Taharepa Road from Crown Road to Lake Terrace: 8am to 1pm
Due to changes to the IRONMAN course this year, Spa Road and Napier Road will be open. This means the best way to get around the closed area will be via the ETA and Centennial Drive / Spa Road or Napier Road. Note Broadlands Road and the ETA off-ramp at Broadlands Road will be closed until 1pm Saturday, while our Landfill and Transfer Station on Broadlands Road will open at the later time of 1.30pm Saturday.
Huka Falls Road closure
A part of Huka Falls Road will be periodically closed to through traffic for three weeks from November 25 between 6am – 5.30pm, Monday – Saturday to allow for a footpath extension between Huka Lodge and the Huka Falls carpark entrance.
Temporary diversions will be put in place while the work is underway, with access still available to Huka Lodge at all times from the southern end of Huka Falls Road (where the lookout is). Access to the Huka Falls themselves will also be available at all times from the northern end of Huka Falls Road, where Kefi at the Hub is located, to Huka Falls from Taupo.
An alternative route for pedestrians and cyclists will be signposted via the riverbank route and Spa Thermal Park.
Signage will be set up at both ends of Wairakei Drive informing motorists of the closure.
Pedestrians and cyclists on Huka Falls Road can divert through the Redwoods track and Kev’s track to bypass the worksite.