Our opening hours vary daily. Keep an eye on our Facebook page for any daily updates or changes to our monthly timetable shown below.
Alert Level 2 guidelines
With the current Alert Level 2 guidelines currently in place, things will be a little different at the Rockwall to keep everybody safe. We will be following guidelines we have received from the New Zealand Outdoor Instructors Association (NZOIA) and the Ministry of Health. If you are sick or feeling unwell, please stay home.
Please enter through the main reception area and bring a smartphone if you have one, for contact tracing. If not, our customer service team can assist in signing you in. Please hand sanitise on entry and adhere to social distancing rules. Head to the stadium changing rooms to get changed, and make sure you give your hands a good wash before coming to the Rockwall.
What can we hire?
Chalky Midget and Stalactite members can still use our rental climbing shoes during club nights. Climbing shoes, chalk bags, lead ropes and belay devices will be unavailable for general hire. We will continue to rent harnesses. We will be giving each harness a 72-hour stand down period after each use.
What should I bring with me?
We will have no water fountains available, so please bring your own non-spill water bottle. A towel to wipe sweat, and a pair of comfy shoes to belay in (no bare feet allowed while belaying or in between climbs) are good choices too! Leave your loose chalk at home and bring some liquid chalk or a chalk sock instead. We will have sanitiser at the wall too, but feel free to bring your own if you prefer.
We will have alternative belay stations and walls open to maintain social distancing, and new markers on the ground for you to safely wait behind. Please wipe down belay devices and carabiners after you use them and retain the same climbing partner for the duration of your visit. We are all hand sanitising after each climb/belay. All staff will wear face masks when teaching belay lessons.
To adhere to social distancing protocols, we ask that only climbers and necessary belayers visit during this restriction.
After school programmes:
- Term one registered Stalactites and teenage members will climb on Thursdays only (starting June 4).
- Preassigned groups: Stalactites Group 1: 3.30pm-5pm, Group 2: 5pm-6.30pm.
- Term one registered Chalky Midgets and child members will climb on Mondays only (starting June 8).
- Preassigned groups: Group 1: 3.30pm-4.30pm, Group 2: 4.30pm-5.30pm, Group 3: 5.30pm-6.30pm.
- If you haven’t received confirmation of your time yet – please get in touch with Doireann.
- No new members will be taken for our after school programmes until term 3.
General information for your visit
The climbs on our climbing wall are graded from 12 to 25 and are changed regularly so the challenge never ends, even for advanced climbers! Top rope and lead climbing are available, while we also have a bouldering section along the bottom of our wall for low level climbing - ideal for those who don't want to go too high but still want to give climbing a go.
- You must bring somebody to belay (somebody to hold the safety rope) who is over 13 years of age.
- All climbers under 16 years old need to be signed in by an adult. A safety induction with our instructors must be completed before climbing/belaying.
- For climbers aged 12 years and under, parents must stay onsite for the duration of the child's visit.
- For climbers aged 13-15 years of age, parents must stay onsite until the child is deemed competent to climb.
- While climbing, all long hair must be tied up and all jewellery must be removed.
- Please bring covered shoes (or hire our climbing shoes) and wear comfortable trousers or shorts to climb in.
- If hiring climbing shoes, you must bring socks to wear.