Own more than two dogs
If you want to keep more than two dogs over the age of three months you need to apply for a permit. The only exception to this is if your property is within the Rural Environment or within the Mapara Valley Structure Plan Area under the Taupō District Plan.
The following requirements apply for a permit application:
- any kennelling and attached run must be at least three metres from all boundary fences - it may be as close as one metre with a signed approval of the neighbour sharing the boundary fence.
- kennelling must have a suitable method for the disposing of dog excrement. A separate permit is required for connection to sewerage.
- all dogs over the age of three months are to be registered with the us for the current registration year.
- good dog control record with no complaints or impoundings within the last two years.
- the property must have dog-proof fencing allowing safe access to a doorway of the dwelling, i.e. dogs should not have access to this doorway.
- property check able to be undertaken by an officer.
Any breaches of the Dog Control Act 1996 or our Control of Dogs Bylaw 2021 may result in the cancellation of the permit, if approved.
Animal management fees and charges
How to apply
Complete the online application below. Once received we'll apply the non-refundable application fee to your account and let you know it's ready for payment. The application fee must be paid before we can begin to process your application.
You'll need to provide:
- full details of all dogs being kept on the property including how they will be kennelled and kept secure.
- your neighbours signed approval.
- if your property is a rental, written agreement from the property owner.
- sketch of the property showing the kennelling in relation to neighbouring properties (if applicable).
A property visit will be undertaken to check the suitability of the dog accommodation and the property set up. An officer will give you a call to set up a time that suits.
The outcome of your application will be given on site and by formal letter.